Massage Therapy services in Michigan resumed the week of June 15th, 2020 (Executive Order 2020-114). I want to keep you informed of how we have adapted our services to comply with the Executive Order and keep our clients, our staff, and our community safe.
We are limiting clientele to people who are practicing a high degree of caution to prevent the spread of COVID. With the information gathered during our prescreening calls we can determine whether or not your appointment should be postponed 7-14 days.
Due to our commitment to the health and safety of our clients, staff and community we will be opening in phases. This means that I will be the only therapist returning at this time with a very limited schedule. Once I accommodate my regularly scheduled clients I will then open my schedule to other clients. Our other staff members (Leah, Jenna, Julia and Julie) will be returning at a later date to be determined.
I have introduced many new COVID prevention protocols as well as business changes including temporarily closing off our online scheduling so that all clients are prescreened prior to booking. For appointment inquiries please contact me via email:
Please keep in mind, depending on the COVID cases in and around Washtenaw County, we may need to close again for the safety of our clients, staff and community. This is an unpredictable time with no risk-free environment and I believe our safety measures at Thrive will greatly reduce potential exposure during your massage.
Thank you for your continued support, patience and understanding as we navigate this challenging time. I will be in touch as we expand over the coming weeks and months.
Please see the information below regarding business changes and our new thorough safety protocols.
Owner and LMT at Thrive
COVID BUSINESS CHANGES: BEGINNING JUNE 15, 2020
Only one staff member to start: Heidi Johnson, June 16, 2020
Julia Paholak returned Sept 14, 2020
REDUCTION OF DAILY BOOKINGS
Limit of 1-3 Clients/Day
30/45/60 MINUTE SESSIONS ONLY
Minimizing potential exposure risk by limiting sessions to 60 minutes or less
(Sorry 90-minute lovers – only temporary!)
TEMPORARILY NOT OFFERING TMJ MASSAGE AND COUPLES MASSAGE
GENBOOK ONLINE BOOKINGS TEMPORARILY BLOCKED OFF
Contact Heidi for Appointments – all clients are prescreened for COVID safety compliance before booking.
NO CLIENT OVERLAP IN WAITING ROOM
1 hour break between clients to avoid client overlap & disinfect time, and only one Massage Therapist works per shift
TOUCHLESS PAY SYSTEM
Encourage contactless Apple/Google Pay or Chipped Credit Cards (client inserts the card), Cash or Checks also welcome
CLIENTS IN THE “AT-RISK” CATEGORIES
Taking special precautions at this time to discuss the risks with clients who are 65 years and older, and those with conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, and suppressed immune systems.
MODIFIED CANCELLATION POLICY
No penalties for last minute cancellations (under 24 hours) due to illness or possible illness. Please cancel your appointment if you have any cold/flu-like symptoms AND ALSO if you aren’t feeling like your usual physical self. What does that mean? Could be lethargy, unusual fatigue, loss of appetite, stomachache…etc. Please be self aware and cautious and do not come in.
BACK-TO-PRACTICE SAFETY GUIDELINES
1. Health-Intake Updates/New COVID Consent Form and Contact Tracing Consent
2. Prescreening Call: phone conversation the day before your appointment to review COVID symptoms, discuss your social distancing/lifestyle/career situations, any recent travel outside of Washtenaw County, and review all new COVID safety protocols and expectations during your appointment. This conversation is required to ensure maximum safety for clients, staff and our community. Please be aware your appointment may be postponed for up to 14 days based on this conversation.
TREATMENT ROOM/LOBBY READINESS
1. Remove Unnecessary Items: to keep surfaces cleaner and avoid cross contamination.
2. Sanitize/Disinfect with EPA virus eliminating approved cleaners: deep clean of all spaces between clients: plastic floor mats, massage table, face cradle, massage bolster, tables, chairs, stool, massage lotion dispenser, doorknobs, any other touch surfaces.
3. DYSON HEPA Air Purifier HP02 installed in treatment room for the cold winter months. Window will remain open with weather permitting through the cold winter months.
PRE-SESSION THERAPIST PREPAREDNESS
1. Personal Precautions: continue thorough hand washing and hand sanitizing, continue personally practicing social distancing and maskwearing in public indoor and outdoor spaces, myself and my family members continue to only go outside of the home when necessary. We are a risk adverse family.
2. Office Precautions/Standard Industry Hygiene/Hand washing – Plus the Extra COVID precautions: taking my temperature, not coming to work ill, wearing a mask and face shield, avoid client hand shaking/hugging, limit conversation, use hand sanitizer in session when necessary, strict table linen clean up, and clean apron/shirt for each client session.
3. Heidi and Julia get COVID tested every 14 days.
CLIENT ARRIVAL AND INTAKE
1. Immediate Upon Client Arrival: clients wash or sanitize hands before entering office, mask required, no-contact temperature reading, doorway screening questions, remove shoes, client stays masked while undressing, all of client belongings stay in one easy to clean location in the treatment room, client will sanitize hands after undressing before laying on the table, wipes available for additional client needs.
2. Face Covering/Mask Required for therapists and clients. If you are unable to wear a face covering/mask due to a medical condition please contact Heidi Johnson before scheduling an appointment. Failure to disclose this information prior to your appointment will result in immediate cancellation.
1. Window remains open for extra ventilation of the massage room. Therapist and client are both masked for the entire massage session including arrival and departure from the office building. Most of the head and neck massage will take place while the client is face down. Therapist wears a mask plus a face shield while the client is laying face up. Therapist uses sanitizer at the end of the session and uses paper towel for doorknob to exit room.
1. Therapist immediately washes thoroughly with soap and water from hands to elbows as recommended by the CDC.
2. Client stays masked while getting dressed and sanitizes hands before exiting the treatment room and uses paper towel for doorknob.
3. Complete client payment transaction, sanitize hands, change apron/shirt, repeat sanitize, begin room cleanup and disinfecting.
4. Room/Lobby turnover sanitation protocols: open window immediately (if not already open), linens removed safely, disinfect all touch surfaces, table protector, face cradle, stool, bolster, massage oil/lotion bottle, client undressing area, plastic floor mats, doorknobs, iPad, lobby touch surfaces, small trash bin emptied, repeat hand washing. Fresh table linens applied after treatment room is completely disinfected.
5. Sanitation routine continues between all clients
6. Sanitation continues at the end of the day
7. Post-Session client interaction: 2-3 days check in for any apparent symptoms and overall health check-in, opportunity for feedback, questions, concerns, rebooking.
Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals ABMP.com, and CDC.gov
QUESTIONS / COMMENTS / CONCERNS?
Please reach out! We are in this together…